Do you have an interesting blog that you want me to know about? If so, email me at kpth123@yahoo.com.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Twitter vs. Blog, part 2

This is purely anecdotal, so draw conclusions at your own risk. More and more people I know are abandoning their blogs and moving to Twitter or using their Facebook status updates to communicate with friends. I can now count the number of friends who actively update their blogs on one hand, whereas the number on Twitter/Facebook is reaching 3 digits.

Heard recently: "Back when people were blogging..." implying that people aren't blogging anymore??

4 Comments:

Blogger Bradley Robb said...

It's funny that you should mention that. Wired ran an article on this a while ago.

The premise of Wired's article was this:

Facebook/Twitter/Flickr/YouTube are together better than a blog. And that blogging has been taken over by groups which publish as basically a magaizine and push out the little guy.

I think that for many, the thrill or need for blogging is met by these, but that simply thins the ranks for the rest of us.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Twitter is what is now known as "micro-blogging." I consider it blogging, but many others might not.

And there were a lot more bloggers a few years ago. Livejournal and other services were at their peak. Now you will find many blogs that are still there, but are virtually abandoned. I'm not sure why it hit a peak and then dwindled, but I don't think it has anything to do with twitter not being considered blogging.

I say this mostly because the ones who I know use twitter, are the ones that still blog. Everyone else won't touch twitter with a 10 foot pole, or set up an account and abandon it after a single post.

http://www.modernprincess.com

8:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

@ P. Bradley Robb I suppose from a SEO perspective, that makes sense. More opportunities to be found, more opportunities for viral marketing.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I started a twitter but I don,t really get it yet.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home